About Cadillac Place
Cadillac Place is an ornate high-rise class-A office complex in the New Center area of Detroit, Michigan constructed of limestone, granite, and marble. Originally the General Motors Building, it had housed the company's world headquarters from 1923 until 1996. In 1996, GM moved its world headquarters to the Renaissance Center and sold the magnificent building which is leased by the State of Michigan on a long term basis. The building was renamed Cadillac Place. The building takes its present name from Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, the founder of Detroit. This National Historic Landmark is one of the nation's largest historic renovation projects. Cadillac Place rises 15 stories with the roof height at 220 ft (67.1 m), and the top floor at 187 ft (57 m). The building has 31 elevators. Originally constructed with 1,200,000 square feet (111,000 m), and was expanded to 1,395,000 square feet (129,600 m). Designated a National Historic Landmark on June 2, 1978 it is an exquisite example of Neo-Classical architecture. Designed by noted architect Albert Kahn, each of the four parallel 15-story wings connects to a central perpendicular backbone.