About Detroit Free Press Building
The Detroit Free Press Building is a building designed by architect Albert Kahn and constructed in downtown Detroit, Michigan, in 1924 and completed a year later. The high-rise building has two basement floors, and 14 floors above the ground, for a total of 16 floors. The building features Art Deco architecture style, and incorporates a great deal of limestone into its materials. Its design features stepped massing in the central tower and flanking wings. The building is adorned with bas-relief figures, sculpted by Ulysses A. Ricci, symbolizing commerce and communication. The building, sited at 321 West Lafayette, is currently unoccupied. It was formerly the home of the Detroit Free Press, and still displays a large neon sign of the newspaper on its roof. The newspaper is now located at 615 W. Lafayette in Detroit. In spring 2003, the Detroit Free Press Building was added to a short list of possible sites to replace the Detroit Police Headquarters. Another candidate was the Michigan Central Station, both of which are part of the city's efforts at urban development in Detroit.