About Board of Trade Building
Board of Trade Building is a historic building in Downtown Los Angeles that was opened in 1929. Located at the northwest corner of Main Street and Seventh Street, the building was designed by Claud Beelman and Alexander Curlett in the Beaux Arts style with Neoclassical influence. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 and is one of more than ten Claud Beelman buildings included in the National Register. Upon completion, the building had 230,000 square feet (21,000 m) of space and fourteen stores on the ground floor, with the remainder of the building utilized for offices. The building was the headquarters for the new California Stock Exchange starting in January 1930. The exchange's trading floor, located on the building's second floor, was patterned after the New York Stock Exchange, measured 89 by 90 feet (27 m) and was designed to accommodate 300 brokers. The exchange also included six trading posts with price indicators for 384 issues, a clearing-house, visitors' gallery, smoking-room for members, private offices for executives, committee rooms and locker rooms.