About Detroit Commerce Building
The Detroit Commerce Building was located at 138-150 Michigan Avenue (the corner of Michigan Avenue and Shelby Street), in downtown Detroit, Michigan. The high-rise stood at 13 stories, 12 above-ground, and one basement floor. It was built in 1915 as headquarters for the People's Outfitting Company department store and was designed in the Chicago School architectural style. The store moved to other quarters in 1959 and the building was converted to office space. For many years, the building was home to the Metropolitan Detroit Chamber of Commerce, for which is was named, and various agencies of the City of Detroit and Wayne County. It was demolished in 2007 to create a parking garage for the Book Cadillac Hotel. The garage is tentatively going to be topped by 80 condominiums developed by Roxbury Development (they have just purchased the air-rights). The new building is currently planned at 15 stories (10 stories on parking, five stories of condos).