About Sheraton Detroit Riverside Hotel
The Detroit Riverside Hotel, is an upscale high-rise hotel in downtown Detroit, Michigan. It is located across the street from Cobo Center and from 150 West Jefferson, as well as neighbouring Hotel Fort Shelby to the south. The building was constructed in 1965 to a height of 25 floors (75 metres, or 245 feet). It contains 367 rooms, and is used as a hotel, restaurant, and fitness center. Originally known as The Pontchartrain, King & Lewis designed the hotel in the modern architectural style with contemporary French interior employing angular bay windows in its design, which provides every room with views of the Detroit Riverfront. George H.W. Bush stayed at the hotel during the 1980 Republican National Convention. The hotel is built on the same exact site as Fort Pontchartrain (for which it was originally named), Detroit's first permanent European settlement, built in 1701, which later became known as Fort Detroit. In 1985, the hotel was purchased by Crescent Hotel Group, a subsidiary of Lincoln Savings & Loan for $19.5 million.