About Wachovia Building
The Wachovia Building, originally the Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company Building is a skyscraper located in Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. The Beaux-Arts skyscraper was built for the Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Co. in 1928. Designed by architectural firm Simon and Simon, the 29-story high-rise is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Soon after being built, the Wachovia Building became premiere office space in the city, but by the 1980s tenants were vacating the building for newer office space being built in the West Market Street neighborhood. The building has since rebounded with new tenants after restoration and modernization efforts. Through many mergers the bank that started as the Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company and is now Wachovia have remained the building's largest tenant throughout its entire history. The 405 feet (123 m) tall, limestone and granite skyscraper feature recesses that give the building an h-shape. Decorations include sculpture by Piccirilli Brothers and 150,000 square feet (14,000 m) of marble. Medallions, mainly depicting early American coins, decorate the street level facade.