About Terminal Tower
The Terminal Tower is a landmark skyscraper located on Public Square in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. It was built during the skyscraper boom of the 1920s and 1930s, and was the second-tallest building in the world when it was completed. The Terminal Tower stood as the tallest building in North America outside of New York City from its completion in 1930 until 1964. It is part of the Tower City Center mixed-use development, and its major tenants include Forest City Enterprises (corporate headquarters and current building owner) and Riverside Company. Built for $179 million ($2.5 billion in 2010 dollars) by the Van Sweringen brothers, the tower was to serve as an office building atop the city's new rail station, Union Terminal. Originally planned to be 14 stories, the structure was expanded to 52-floors with a height of 708 ft (216 m) and rests on 280 foot caissons. Designed by the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the tower was modeled after the Beaux-Arts New York Municipal Building by McKim, Mead, and White.