About 1001 Woodward
1001 Woodward, also known as the First Federal Building (for its original lead tenant, First Federal Savings and Loan of Detroit), is a mixed-use skyscraper in downtown Detroit, Michigan. The building is located just south of the neighboring David Stott Building, and can be found at the corner of Woodward Avenue and Michigan Avenue overlooking Campus Martius Park. Constructed from 1963 to 1965, the 25 story building employs the International style of architecture. The main exterior material is charcoal gray granite. The structure is really two buildings joined by a glassed-in elevator utility core. The two top floors are mechanical floors. The building occupies the site of the Majestic Building, which was demolished in 1962 to make way for 1001 Woodward. A 2006 redevelopment plan by Detroit-developers Sky Development to convert the tower into 144 residential units fell apart at the end of 2007. The building, as well as the adjacent parking garage, was subsequently purchased by Greektown business owner Dimitrios Papas in January 2008 and refurbished. In April 2010 GalaxE IT systems signed a lease for 28,000 square feet. This brings the approximate occupancy up to 25%.