About Fisher Building
The Fisher Building (1928) is an ornate class-A skyscraper in the New Center area of Detroit, Michigan, United States constructed of limestone, granite, and marble. Financed by the Fisher family with proceeds from the sale of Fisher Body to General Motors, the structure was designed to house office and retail space. The building was designated a National Historic Landmark on June 29, 1989. The building also contains the 2,089 seat Fisher Theatre. The building houses the headquarters of Detroit Public Schools. The Fisher building includes retail and a tourist gift shop. Standing on the corner of West Grand Boulevard and Second Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, the Art Deco skyscraper lies in the heart of the New Center area of Detroit. The office building rises 30-stories with a roof height of 428 feet (130 m), a top floor height of 339 feet (103 m), and the spire reaching 444 feet (135 m). The building has 21 elevators. Designed by Albert Kahn and Associates with Joseph Nathaniel French as chief architect, it has been called Detroit's largest art object. and is widely considered Kahn's greatest achievement.