About Milwaukee City Hall
The Milwaukee City Hall is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S. It was finished in 1895, at which time it was the tallest habitable building in the United States. The city hall's bell tower, at 353 feet (108 m), also made it the second tallest structure in the nation, behind the Washington Monument. The Hall was Milwaukee's tallest building until completion of the US Bank Center in 1973. Milwaukee City Hall was designed by architect Henry C. Koch in the German Renaissance Revival style, based on both German precedent (for example, the Hamburg Rathaus or city hall), and local examples (the Pabst Building, demolished in 1980). Due to Milwaukee's historic German immigrant population, many of the surrounding buildings mirror this design. The foundation consists of 2,584 white pine piles which were driven in to the marshy land surrounding the Milwaukee River. The upper part of the tower was rebuilt after a fire in October 1929. The bell in City Hall was named after Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee's first mayor. It was designed and crafted by the Campbells, who were early pioneers in creating diving chambers and suits near the Great Lakes area during that time.