About E. V. Haughwout Building
The E.V. Haughwout Building is a five-story commercial loft building in the SoHo section of New York City, at the corner of Broome Street and Broadway. Built in 1857 to a design by John P. Gaynor, with cast-iron sections for two street-fronts provided by Daniel D. Badger Architectural Iron Works, it originally housed Eder V. Haughwout's fashionable chinaware emporium, which attracted many wealthy clients including Mary Todd Lincoln. Architecturally, the building is fairly typical for the period, with cast-iron facades in an arcaded system with two orders of columns that was derived from the Sansovino Library in Venice. However, the building's designers acted progressively by installing the world's first successful passenger elevator on March 23, 1857. It was a hydraulic lift designed for the building by Elisha Graves Otis. It cost $300 and had a speed of .67 feet per second (0.20 m/s). The original elevator is still in place and is in working condition. It was designated a Designated Landmark in 1965.