About Gulf Tower
Gulf Tower is one of the major distinctive and recognizable features of Downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. The tower is named for the Gulf Oil Corporation, which was one of the leading multinational oil companies of its time, consistently ranking among the largest 10 corporations in the country. In 1984, Gulf and Chevron took part in the world's largest merger to that time. Built as the headquarters for the Gulf Oil Company, and known as the Gulf Building, the structure was designed by the firm of Trowbridge & Livingston and completed in 1932. Now called Gulf Tower, it has 44 floors and rises 582 feet (177 m) above Downtown Pittsburgh. The crown of the skyscraper is modeled after the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus in the style of a step pyramid. On June 17th, 1974 - The Weather Underground Organization planted a bomb in the lobby to protest Gulf Oil's actions in Angola, Vietnam, and elsewhere. Prior to the late 1970s, the entire multistory "step-pyramid/mausoleum" structure at the top of the building was neon-illuminated, changing colors to provide a weather forecast that could be seen for many miles.