About 1717 East Ninth Building
1717 East Ninth Building, also known as the East Ohio Building, is a skyscraper in Cleveland, Ohio. Completed in 1959, it was one of the first modernist high-rises in Cleveland, along with the Illuminating Building. It is currently the 22nd tallest building in Cleveland, at 275 feet (84 meters). It was designed by Emery Roth and Sons of New York City. Tishman Properties also of New York City was the developer. Ground was broken in March 1958 and in April 1959 it opened to the public. There is a 600-car parking garage attached to the tower. It was built on the site of the old Greyhound bus station, after Greyhound built a new bus terminal on Superior Avenue a few blocks away from the East Ohio Building in 1948. East Ohio Gas, Cleveland's natural gas supplier, occupied the tower until its merger with Richmond, Virginia-based Dominion Resources. On the lobby level, East Ohio had a customer pay center and exhibits of the benefits of natural gas appliances. In addition, they had a meter showing how much natural gas was supplied to Cleveland. On November 22, 2006, the largely vacant building was bought by New York City-based Sovereign Partners, LLC for around $12 million.